There is a general perception that evolution is based on science, whereas creation is just a religious belief. This is what I refer to as the big lie. Before you pass judgement, let me explain. There are a lot of uses and abuses of the words ‘creation’, ‘evolution’, ‘science’ and ‘religion’, so I want to start by defining these terms, so that you can understand where I’m coming from.
- Creation is the process by which God supernaturally created the universe, including the sun, moon, stars, earth, seas, plants, birds, fish, animals, as well as man in His own image, about 6,000 years ago in six days of about 24 hours each, as described in the Biblical account in Genesis.
- Evolution is a theory suggesting that the entire universe is the result of random, undirected processes, beginning with the big bang billions of years ago and that all life is the result of small undirected natural processes that have randomly occurred over billions of years.
- The word science is from the Latin word scientia which means to know. It is used by both creation and secular scientists to advance technology, medicine, quality of life, etc.
- The study of how the universe and life began is history. None of us were around to observe the past, so history must be interpreted based on our worldview or religious beliefs.
- According to the Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, a religion is a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith. Our religion is our starting point for the way we interpret facts and evidence in the world around us.
- Creation is a religious view of history based on the authority of God and His Word, the Bible. Evolution is a religious view of history based on the authority of man and natural processes without God. Many people who don’t believe in God or go to church, are very religious about their views of evolution and naturalism.
Based on the definitions above, it is clear that creation and evolution are both religious views. In fact, as we will see in future posts, that the science which we all agree on is much more supportive of the creation view of history than the evolution view of history.
Now that we have exposed the ‘big lie’, let’s establish 7 important truths about creation and evolution. [Read more…]