God did not use evolution to create the universe. Evolution is a requirement of the naturalist or atheistic worldview, but it is completely incompatible with the Bible, which provides a history of cosmology, geology, paleontology and biology that is supported by observational science. There are those that believe that Genesis is just poetry or symbolic, but that is not true. Genesis is written as an historic narrative, as indicated by this Scottish Old Testament scholar and professor of the Interpretation of Holy Scripture and of Hebrew at Oxford.
“Probably, so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Genesis 1-11 intended to convey to their readers that creation took place in a series of six days which were the same days of 24 hours we now experience.”
Letter from Dr. James Barr to to David C.C. Watson.
Atheists understand that the history proposed by the theory of evolution is incompatible with the history described in the Bible.
“Christianity has fought, still fights, and will continue to fight science to the desperate end over evolution, because evolution destroys utterly and finally the very reason Jesus’ earthly life was supposedly made necessary. Destroy Adam and Eve and the original sin, and in the rubble you will find the sorry remains of the Son of God. If Jesus was not the redeemer who died for our sins, and this is what evolution means, then Christianity is nothing.”
G. Richard Bozarth, The Meaning of Evolution, American Atheist
“The original sin is supposed to have been committed by Adam, who as we now know never existed. So we now have the preposterous idea that Jesus was sacrificed, the scapegoat was sacrificed for the sin of a non-existent forebear.”
Richard Dawkins, The Unbelievers Documentary
Although atheists recognize the incompatibility, many Christians accept the idea of theistic evolution, or that God used evolution to create, so let’s set the record straight.
Creation, Sin & Death
In the Biblical account of history, God created the universe in 6 days and declared it was “very good”. Then Adam sinned and death entered the world, both physically and spiritually. If he had not sinned, Adam would still be alive today, but instead we live in a fallen world. In the future, however, there will be a new earth and everything will be restored to it’s original “very good” state.
Evolution, Time & Death
The theory of evolution proposes that humans evolved over millions of years through death, suffering and survival of the fittest. In that case, there would have been death and suffering in God’s “very good” creation before Adam sinned. And if God will restore everything to the way it was in the beginning, then it means that death always was and always will be.
If God Used Evolution???
- If the Genesis account of creation is not true history even though it is written as historical narrative, how can the Bible be the inspired Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16)?
- Which parts of the Bible should be reinterpreted to comply with a naturalistic or scientific perspective (e.g. the creation, the flood, the virgin birth, the resurrection, etc.)?
- Why did Jesus, Peter, Paul and every author of the New Testament reference Genesis 1-11 as literal history on 100 different occasions (e.g. John 5:46-47, Matthew 19:4, Matthew 24:37-39)?
- If God “created” using evolution, which makes Him unnecessary, how can God’s “eternal power and divine nature” be “clearly seen” in creation (Romans 1:20).
- Why are there are no references to millions of years and other evolutionary concepts anywhere in the Bible?
- Why did God say that He created everything in six 24 hour days (Genesis 1, Exodus 20:11)?
- Why did God provide a different history in Genesis than evolution demands, saying He created the earth before the sun (Genesis 1:1,16), the oceans before the land (Genesis 1:9-10), light before sun (Genesis 1:3,16), land plants/trees before marine life (Genesis 1:11, 20), plants before the sun (Genesis 1:11, 16), each kind of organism after their own kind (Genesis 1:11, 12, 21, 24, 25)?
- Why did Jesus say that Adam and Eve were there in the beginning, if they evolved millions of years after the beginning (Matthew 19:4)?
- Why would a good and loving God have used evolution, death and suffering as a means of creation, when death is the wages of sin and the enemy (Matthew 19:17, 1 John 4:8, Romans 6:23, 1 Corinthians 15:26)?
- How could organisms evolve over millions of years through death, suffering and survival of the fittest if death was a result of Adam’s sin about 6,000 years ago (Genesis 2:16-17)?
- If man coming from dust should be interpreted as coming from an ape-like creature, does man returning to dust mean we return to an ape-like creature (Genesis 3:19)?
- If death brought man into the world, why would the Bible say that man brought death into the world (Romans 5:12, 1 Corinthians 15:21-22)?
- If death did not come from one man’s offense, what assurance do we have that righteousness comes from the One, Jesus Christ (Romans 5:17)?
- Why would Noah’s Flood describe billions of dead things laid down by water all over the earth, about 4,300 years ago, if the fossil record formed over millions of years (Genesis 6-8)?
- Why is there evidence of disease, like tumors and arthritis in the fossil record, when God said everything he created was “very good” (Genesis 1:31)?
- Why is there evidence of thorns in the fossil record, when thorns were a result of the curse (Genesis 3:18)?
- Why is there evidence of animals eating each other in the fossil record, when there was no death until Adam sinned and animals and humans were vegetarians before the Flood (Genesis 1:29-30, 9:3)?
- If God used natural selection and mutations for creation and they are still happening today, why did He say the creation was finished (Genesis 2:1-3)?
- If the earth is operating according to God’s original plan, why does the whole creation groan and labour with birth pangs and why will the earth be burned up and replaced with a new earth (Romans 8:22, 2 Peter 3:10-13)?
- If there was disease, death and suffering from the beginning, what is the point of God restoring everything back to the way it was in the beginning (Acts 3:19-21)?
The Authority of the Bible
This is not really an issue of how God could have created, it’s about how God said he created. It’s really about standing up for the authority of the Word of God. The Christian church has done such a poor job at this, that atheists are using the church to promote their naturalistic worldview.
“I would describe myself as a humanist or a nontheist. I have found that the most effective allies for evolution are people of the faith community. One clergyman with a backward collar is worth two biologists at a school board meeting any day!”
Eugenie Scott, Director of National Centre For Science Education
Through his Clergy Project, Michael Zimmerman convinced thousands of clergy to participate in Darwin Day by writing a letter asking them to “join together with thousands of clergy and congregations to demonstrate that religion and science can comfortably coexist…”.
In their quick guide to promote skepticism, the evolutionary Skeptics Society says to “Make allies. Be cooperative. Build bridges. Work with religious groups. (Our best allies for defending evolution are members of the mainstream clergy groups.)”
It is unfortunate that the church has not done a great job of standing up for the authority of the Bible, but it gets worse. There are Christian organizations that exist for the sole purpose of promotion evolution within the church. Biologos, for example. “invites the church and the world to see the harmony between science and biblical faith as we present an evolutionary understanding of God’s creation”. What about presenting a Biblical understanding of God’s creation? This organization is spending millions of dollars to teach evolution at Christian high schools and pastors conferences. When questioned about why Jesus affirmed Genesis, they argue that in His humanity, Jesus did not understand creation. We are talking about Jesus the creator here (John 1)… you know, the Son of God who spoke the words of the Father (John 14:10, John 14:24).
Another popular organization is Reasons to Believe, which promotes guided evolution over billions of years (i.e. progressive creation). They believe that the Bible should be reinterpreted based on God’s ‘other’ revelation of evolution in nature. That organization was founded by Hugh Ross, who studied big bang cosmology at University of Toronto before coming to Christ.
Does it Really Matter?
What we believe about origins is very important. In fact, for many it is a salvation issue. At the very least, evolution makes a mockery of the historical account in the Bible and severely affects our ability to witness to others. Consider the debate between Christian apologist, philosopher and theologian, Dr. William Lane Craig and theoretical physicist, cosmologist and atheist, Dr. Lawrence M. Krauss on whether or not it is reasonable to believe there is a God. Craig did his thesis on the resurrection and successfully argued that Krauss should accept that Jesus was a real person and that proposed connections between Christ and myths are illegitimate. Krauss could not even deny that it is plausible that God raised Jesus from the dead, but then everything fell apart when Craig conceded that the creation account in Genesis is not to be taken literally, but as a figurative poetic narrative, just like all the other poetic narratives in other religions.
Is it Reasonable to Believe There is a God
What Are the Consequences?
“The main conclusion arrived at in this work, namely, that man is descended from some lowly organized form, will, I regret to think, be highly distasteful to many. But there can hardly be a doubt that we are descended from barbarians.”
Charles Darwin In The Descent Of Man
The consequences of belief in evolution are more than just distasteful – they are nothing short of devastating. For example, the Bible teaches that there is just one race, the human race (Acts 17:26). It says that Adam was the first man (1 Corinthians 15:45) and Eve was the mother of all living (Genesis 3:20). Evolutionists used to believe that multiple humans evolved from many different ape-like creatures. Observational science has since caught up with the Biblical account, confirming that all humans have descended from ‘Mitochondrial Eve’ and ‘Y-Chromosome Adam’, but the damage has already been done.
“Biological arguments for racism may have been common before 1850, but they increased by orders of magnitude following the acceptance of evolution theory.”
Stephen Jay Gould, Harvard
In 1925, a popular high school textbook called Civic Biology stated that “At the present time there exist upon the earth five races… the highest type of all, the caucasians, represented by the civilized white inhabitants of Europe and America.”
The issue went far beyond racism, to something pioneered by Darwin’s cousin called eugenics: the belief and practice of improving the genetic quality of the human population through the promotion of higher reproduction of people with desired traits and reduced reproduction of people with less-desired or undesired traits. Through the ‘science’ of eugenics, surgery was used to render those with ‘genetic defects’ unable to reproduce. Those involuntarily sterilized included the deaf, blind, mute, disabled and homosexuals. Canada sterilized over 3,000 people and the United States, over 60,000. As disgusting as that is, it pales in comparison to Nazi Germany, which sterilized over 360,000 people. It was not long before Hitler, an avid believer in evolution, made the decision to take a more aggressive approach to ‘improving’ the human race, by simply exterminating millions of people with the supposed genetic defects.
Taking a Stand
There has been an attack on God’s Word ever since Genesis 3, when the serpent said to Eve, ‘Did God really say…’, but the attack on the creation account using millions of years is the greatest attack on the authority of scripture today. In the words of Jesus, ‘He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad (Matthew 12:30). Rather than compromising on the authority of the Word of God in Genesis, my challenge to Christians everywhere is to take a stand and build a ready defense that draws others to the Bible and not away from it. Use the resources below and other posts on this blog to get equipped and share the truth of the Word of God, beginning with the very first verse.